Scotland is blessed with many natural fortresses, and of these, Edinburgh is the greatest. There has been a fort upon the extinct volcanic plug of Din Eidyn since the beginning of recorded time. Archeological evidence shows that the local native tribe, the Votadini, sheltered there in Roman times. The castle enters written history in 600 AD in the epic poem “Gododdin” which tells how 300 British warriors rode out from Din Eidyn’s fort on a doomed raid against the Angles of Catreath or Catterick. The powerful Angles of Northumbria were not to be stopped, however, and they took Din Eidyn in 638, holding it for seven hundred years and bequeathing its English name of Edinburgh. The castle was built on a solid basalt foundation during the early 12th century,about 400 feet above sea level. It was built as a fortress overlooking the city of Edinburgh and protecting the fertile plains of Lothian and the Firth of Forth from all invaders from the south. Edward Plantagenet realized its importance to the Scots, so in 1296 he took the castle and left an extraordinarily large garrison of 350 knights. It took the skill and audacity of the Earl of Moray to win it back for Scotland. In the spring of 1314, he led thirty of his men, all skilled climbers and silent killers, up the steep north cliff that was thought un-scaleable. The overconfident English garrison was asleep and soon slaughtered in their bed. The castle had to be won back from the English again in 1341. In order to enter the well defended fortress, Sir William Douglas disguised his men as merchants and blocked the castle gates with wagons before the defenders realized they were under assault. The defenders were decapitated and their bodies flung over the walls to the city dogs. It remains one of the few castles that still houses a military garrison: Home of the Royal Scots and Royal Scots Dragoon Guards museum and headquarters of the Royal Regiment of Scotland and 52 Infantry Brigade. In addition, it is the location for the yearly Edinburgh Military Tattoo which takes place in August..a parade of bagpipes and drums of the Scottish regiments. The evening ends with the sound of a lone piper in honour of dead comrades in arms, from the castle battlements, followed by massed marching bands joining in a medley of Scotland’s national tunes. At precisely 1PM the “One O’Clock Gun” from the castle Half Moon Battery has been fired daily since 1861, so that everyone can check their clocks and watches. The gun can be heard two miles away.
Horse Brass: Edinburgh Castle
Horse Brass: Edinburgh Castle.
Made by ARMAC Brassworks, Birmingham, England.
Hand cast using only the finest British brass.
Hand filed to remove any rough edges left from casting.
Hand polished to enhance the natural beauty of quality brass.
ARMAC Brassworks has been producing quality brassware for more than 75 years.
|Dimensions||3.50 × 3.00 × .16 in|